Online Blackjack, aka twenty one, is a casino card game in which United Kingdom players attempt to reach the number twenty one – or as close to as possible – through the value of their hand. Anything over the value of 21 will cause the hand to bust where as anything under could lead to a house win should the dealer score higher.
Online Blackjack requires no bluffing! Try as you might, it’s difficult to find a game that United Kingdom gambling aficionados enjoy more than Blackjack. Also commonly known as “21” it’s a card game where players compete directly against the dealer to see who can get the closest to 21 points without going over, in order to win real money. Taking a look at the game’s mechanics, it’s easy to see why online Blackjack is so popular in the UK: It’s a game that can be just as enjoyable to beginners as it is to those who are more skilled, due to Online Blackjack being a simple and easy Online Casino game.
When you’re new to Online Blackjack, we have to tell you two things, and that is that Online Blackjack is one of the Best Online Casino Games available in the United Kingdom and that is largely about luck. At that point, there is certainly something brilliant in the simplicity of playing a few hands. As your skills advance in Online Blackjack, you begin to see strategies develop that you can use to your advantage. Blackjack’s successful transition into the online environment continues to evolve in new and interesting ways. You can play Online Blackjack for Free or for Real Money in the UK, depending on both your pocket and the Online Casino you play at. These are some of the best Online Blackjack UK casinos in our opinion:
Best Online Blackjack Casinos in United Kingdom:
The History of Online Blackjack
Like many casino games, the history of blackjack is loose and undefined. There is no one source of information stating the birth of blackjack at that exact place and time. Rather, there are a wide variety of various theorems as to where exactly blackjack originated from. We shall take a look at a few of these below.
Chermin de Fer 1700s France
This is probably the most popular and supported argument as to the origin of blackjack. People speculate that blackjack was derived from combining two popular card games of the time, namely; Chermin de Fer and French Ferme. In the 1700s, the game was known as Vignt et Un (French for twenty one).
Spanish Influence in Blackjack
The second theory debates that blackjack was derived from the Spaniards who enjoyed a popular card game known at thirty one. The point of this game was for players to reach the count of thirty one with a hand of three cards or greater.
All Roads Lead to Rome
There is another theory circulating that suggests blackjack can be dated back as far as ancient Rome. There is rumour that a similar game was played by the legions using large wooden blocks which held various numerical values. While it is common knowledge that the Romans loved to gamble, there is hardly enough evidence to support this historical claim.
Online Blackjack in the Modern World
Blackjack first made its way to America from France in the 1930’s. It is there where it actually earned the title blackjack. This came into play when the earlier casinos began offering players handsome payouts if a certain hand was landed. If you were dealt either the jack of spades or clubs, as well as the ace of spades, you would then receive a payout of 10 to 1. Hence the blackjack became the coveted card of the game.
From there on the game practically boomed, becoming the much loved table game that we know it as in today’s society.
Online Blackjack Game Rules in the United Kingdom
- Six decks are used when playing Online Blackjack to ensure that card counting is not possible, allowing a fair game.
- Depending on the Casino that you are playing at, every casino has their own rules of when the dealer has to HIT. Most online casinos allow the dealer to hit on a soft 17.
- Normal hands are paid out 1 to 1 on Online Blackjack.
- When you hit Blackjack, which is a face card and an Ace, the House pays 3 to 2 of what you bet.
- You can only split up to 3 hands.
- Card suits on Online Blackjack in the UK and worldwide are not important, only 2 and 10 have face value
- Kings, Queens and Jacks are valued at 10 and Aces are valued at 1 or 11
- You can surrender any of your first two cards
- You are not allowed to re-split aces
Video Blackjack is one of the more unique ways in which the game is making waves in the UK online market. Video Blackjack first took the form of electronic consoles that could be found in traditional casinos, but have since made their way online. One of the most significant differences between Video Blackjack and the types of games that you would find in a local casino is that Video Blackjack rules commonly favour the house. Card counting in todays era, is not at all possible in both Land Based Casinos or Online Casinos, even if playing in Live Dealer Casinos due to each coup being dealt from a fresh shoe. Many popular software providers have created Online Blackjack services, like Microgaming. 32Red, Lucky247, Unibet, and others are all popular Online Blackjack providers to gaming aficionados in the United Kingdom.
Live Dealer Online Blackjack
One of the most popular forms of online Blackjack these days is Live Online Blackjack. Instead of the software using a Random Number Generator to determine which cards the player gets, an actual Live Dealer takes part in the game and deals from an actual deck of cards, just as though you ere in a land-based casino. The Live Dealer’s image is live-streamed over the internet to the player’s computer, which adds to the experience. The player can even engage with the dealer while playing Live Online Blackjack.
Online Blackjack Tournaments in the United Kingdom
Online Blackjack tournaments are a hugely popular way to engage in the game everyone knows and loves and significantly increase the prize pool at the same time. Online Blackjack tournaments put players against each other in the form of an elimination format. This is where Online Blackjack strategy as well as experience comes in handy. Online Blackjack can be an easy game if you play alone, however, playing against other players can make it more challenging because a RNG (Random Number Generator) dealer or machine is not used.Online Blackjack tournaments tournaments can be found at a variety of popular online casinos operating in the UK such as William Hill, Bet Victor, 32Red, and more. Prize pools will vary significantly depending on the casino service being utilized. At 32Red, for example, the regular prize pool varies anywhere from $42 to $500 or more depending on the tournament being played. At Bet Victor, the prize pool can exceed $1000 or more depending on the total number of players and other factors.
Online Blackjack vs Regular Blackjack in the UK
Regular Online Blackjack is played very similarly to the set-up that you would find in a casino in your area. You’re competing against a computerised dealer and you’re trying to get as close to 21 as you can without going over. Microgaming is one of the most prominent developers of Online Blackjack software and has provided its services to dozens of online gaming sites in the UK. If you are unsure about the Terminology used in blackjack, click here.
One of the major advantages to regular Online Blackjack is that you can experience the core mechanics of the game on your own terms. You don’t have to worry about a loud environment filled with stressful distractions – you can play on your computer, your mobile device or even your television set. Many gaming sites also present regular Internet Blackjack with a variety of different themes that you can use to put a new “coat of paint” on an old classic.
Let’s get into the more detailed information of Online Blackjack
- How To Play Blackjack and Tips: Learn how to play Blackjack in 3 minutes, by giving you an informative grasps on: The Aim, The Table and The Dealer.
- Basic Blackjack Strategy: Some important Online Blackjack tips including: Play by Play, To Hit or Stand, Basic Strategy Chart (Hard and Soft hands), one by one and the Thorpe method.
- Blackjack Terminology and Lingo: The language used when playing Blackjack
- Free Blackjack eBook: For those who want to learn all there is to learn about Online Blackjack, this Blackjack eBook is for you!
Online Blackjack FAQs for UK Payers
People always crave the need to know things. As such, there are always a plethora of frequently asked questions surrounding most things in life, and blackjack is no different. Here are the top five blackjack frequently asked questions to put your mind at ease:
How come blackjack is such a favoured game?
There are a number of reasons supporting why blackjack has grown to be one of the most popular casino games in existence. Namely:
- It is one of the easiest casino games to learn
- You have the best edge against the house
- Even though you are still expected to lose in the long run, you are generally expected to lose at a slower rate
Is the practice of card counting considered to be illegal?
Contrary to popular belief and whatever you may have been told, card counting in its purest form is not illegal. Sure if you utilize counting machines and outside entities to physically better your game, it shall is a different story. However, if you mentally count cards, you are in no violation of the law. A casino may still ask you to leave their establishment banning you from playing there; however, no legal action can be taken against you.
Does online blackjack offer the same experience as land based casino blackjack?
Whilst the feel of the game will differ greatly to the thrill of the live casino, the two types of blackjack are in essence the same, baring one major difference. Since there is no live dealer, online blackjack is run by a random number generator. This also means that you will have no communication with the dealer or fellow players as there will be none. Many online casinos however now offer liv casinos – an online casino which streams live dealers straight to your screen.
Am I obligated to tip the dealer?
By no means is this a requirement. Tipping the dealer is merely a friendly gesture, but you will never be obligated to do so, both online and off.
Is surrendering the best thing to do with a bad hand?
Not necessarily no. by surrendering, you are forfeiting half of your initial wager to the house. Whils this might seem like the safe thing to do, this could potentially end up losing you more money in the long run.
Online Blackjack Terms & Glossary
Understand the talk of the table can go a long way in the casino world. Read through below to get the just of popular blackjack terminology:
- Bankroll: The total amount of real money a player can bet with.
- Bust: To go bust – card totals exceeding 21; losing the game.
- Double Down: An option to double the original bet, but only getting a one-card hit. Usually this is a good move when a player feels confident that with only one card he can win the round.
- House Edge: The casino-calculated theoretical profit that is expected to be made from the gambling game in question is known as the house edge. Typically, the figure is around 5.5% and indicates the amount a player can expect to lose if playing the game over an extended period of time. The house edge can be lowered to around 0.5% by implementing a good strategy.
- Insurance: Dealers offer insurance when their face-up card is an Ace. A player can take insurance by betting half of their original bet in the section of the table marked Insurance. If the dealer’s other card has a value of ten (this would mean the dealer has blackjack), a player’s insurance bet is paid out at a rate of 2:1. However, the player’s original bet is lost unless the player also has blackjack.
- Split: Immediately after the first two cards are dealt, any two cards of the same value may be split into two separate hands by placing a bet of the same value as the initial bet next to the new hand. Most casinos will allow players to split again if subsequent cards of the same value are dealt, but splitting is usually capped at a maximum of three times per player per hand. If two Aces are split, Blackjack can no longer be achieved. (If a ten-value card is dealt after the split, the player will just have 21.)
- Stand/Stay: Not taking any more cards.
Types of Online Blackjack In United Kingdom Casinos
Casino UK is proud to present the best online blackjack games to our valued visitors, both old and new. Blackjack is known as the king of casino games (in part thanks to its excellent odds). We’re committed to treat our visitors like royalty with our wide selection of top Blackjack games. These are the Online Blackjack variants that players can play at online casinos:
There are a variety of different Online Blackjack games that users can play online depending on their skill level, their tastes, and their overall preferences.Read Review Now
Classic Blackjack is another Online Blackjack variant which can be played online, this is the same game that people have known and loved for years. It’s a single-hand game that is only played with a single deck of cards.Read Review Now
Bonus Blackjack definitely holds the distinction of being one of the most popular Online Blackjack games. Bonus Blackjack makes an excellent use of the hole card to keep things interesting.Read Review Now
Double Exposure Blackjack
Double Exposure Blackjack is almost the same as the traditional game in every way, with one major exception: two of the dealer’s cards are exposed.Read Review Now
Atlantic City Blackjack
Atlantic City Blackjack is another variety, which uses a total of eight decks of cards as opposed to the six that are normally used. This favours the dealer as opposed to the player, as is the case under normal situations.Read Review Now
Fewer games have benefited from the Internet gaming boom more than Blackjack. Players can still engage in the game that they’ve known and loved for years and can play any number of hands against a dealer with Online Blackjack. Not only can they now do it in the comfort of their own homes without ever leaving the couch or bed, but they can also put a variety of new spins on an old tradition that you aren’t likely to find in a neighbourhood casino. Other online games seek to replicate the experience of a traditional casino game as closely as possible. The game itself has transitioned beautifully onto the Internet and has taken a bold step in a new direction. Find your favourite online casino and get ready to enjoy Online Blackjack.