Administered by The R&A, The Open Championship or referred to as the Open or British Open, is the third major of the calendar year. It is the oldest of the four major championships in professional golf making it a popular choice for sports betting fans. Current champion on the The Open Championship Leaderboard is Rory McIlroy who won the 143rd Open 2014.
The Open Championship Trophies and Medals
- The Open Golf Championship Trophy (commonly known as the Claret Jug) – replaced the Challenge Belt and has been awarded to the winner since 1873 although Young Tom Morris, the winner in 1872, is the first name engraved on it.
- Braid Taylor Memorial Medal – awarded since 1966 to the highest finishing PGA member.
- The Professional Golfers’ Association of Great Britain and Ireland also mark the achievements of their own members in The Open.
- The Challenge Belt – awarded to the winner from 1860 until 1870 when Young Tom Morris won the belt outright by winning the Championship three years in a row.
- Ryle Memorial Medal – awarded since 1901 to the winner if he is a PGA member.
- Silver medal – awarded since 1949 to the leading amateur, provided they play in the final round.
- Bronze medal – awarded since 1972 to all other amateurs playing in the final round.
- Tooting Bec Cup– awarded since 1924 to the PGA member who records the lowest single round during the championship
- Gold medal – awarded to the winner. First given out in 1872 when the Claret Jug was not yet ready, and since awarded to all champions.
The Open Championship Winners
|2014||17–20 Jul||Rory McIlroy||271 (−17)||£975,000|
|2013||18–21 Jul||Phil Mickelson||281 (−3)||£945,000|
|2012||19–22 Jul||Ernie Els (2)||273 (−7)||£900,000|
|2011||14–17 Jul||Darren Clarke||275 (−5)||£900,000|
|2010||15–18 Jul||Louis Oosthuizen||272 (−16)||£850,000|
|2009||16–19 Jul||Stewart Cink||278 (−2)||£750,000|
|2008||17–20 Jul||Pádraig Harrington (2)||283 (+3)||£750,000|
|2007||19–22 Jul||Pádraig Harrington||277 (−7)||£750,000|
|2006||20–23 Jul||Tiger Woods (3)||270 (−18)||£720,000|
|2005||14–17 Jul||Tiger Woods (2)||274 (−14)||£720,000|
|2004||15–18 Jul||Todd Hamilton||274 (−10)||£720,000|
|2003||17–20 Jul||Ben Curtis||283 (−1)||£700,000|
|2002||18–21 Jul||Ernie Els||278 (−6)||£700,000|
|2001||19–22 Jul||David Duval||274 (−10)||£600,000|
|2000||20–23 Jul||Tiger Woods||269 (−19)||£500,000|
If you would like to know more about The Open Championship winners or The Open Championship Leaderboard, go to our News page, to find out about the upcoming fixtures and past results.
Top Casinos That offer The Open Championship Betting