The USPGA is a golf tournament that is conducted by the Professional Golfers Association in America. The PGA Championship or the U.S PGA Championship is one of four major championships in professional golf and is the final major of the golf season. The USPGA is the most lucrative of all four majors due to it making a purse of $10 million for the 96th edition in 2014. This makes it a fan favourite for sports betting.
Winning the PGA gives golfers great benefits in securing their career. The winners are automatically invited to play in the other three majors (Masters Tournament, U.S Open and the Open Championship), for the next five years, and get the privilege to be exempt from qualifying for the PGA Championship for life.
On top of that, winners receive a five year membership on the PGA and European Tours as well as invitations to The Players Championship for five years.
Top Casinos That offer The USPGA 2015 Betting
The USPGA Qualification
The USPGA Championships is mainly made for professional golfers. Below is a list of qualification criteria as of 2010:
- Winners of the last five Open Championships.
- Winners of the last five Masters.
- The last Senior PGA Champion.
- All former PGA Champions.
- Winners of the last five S. Opens.
- The low 15 scorers and ties in the previous PGA Championship.
- The 70 leaders in official money standings on the PGA Tour (starting one week prior to the previous year’s PGA Championship and ending two weeks prior to the current year’s PGA Championship).
- The PGA of America reserves the right to invite additional players not included in the categories listed above.
- Members of the most recent United States and European Ryder CupTeams provided they are in the top 100 of the Official World Golf Ranking as of one week before the start of the tournament.
- The total field is a maximum of 156 players. Vacancies are filled by the first available player from the list of alternates (those below 70th place in official money standings).
- The 20 low scorers in the last PGA Professional National Championship.
- Winners of tournaments co-sponsored or approved by the PGA Tour since the previous PGA Championship (does not include pro-am and team competitions, but does include alternate events).
USPGA Championship Leaderboard
The USPGA Winners:
|Year||Champion||Country||Score||Winner’s Share ($)|
|2014||Rory McIlroy||Northern Ireland||268 (−16)||1,800,000|
|2013||Jason Dufner||US||270 (−10)||1,445,000|
|2012||Rory McIlroy||Northern Ireland||275 (−13)||1,445,000|
|2011||Keegan Bradley||US||272 (−8)||1,445,000|
|2010||Martin Kaymer||Germany||277 (−11)||1,350,000|
|2009||Yang Yong–eun||South Korea||280 (−8)||1,350,000|
|2008||Padraig Harrington||Ireland||277 (−3)||1,350,000|
|2007||Tiger Woods||US||272 (−8)||1,260,000|
|2006||Tiger Woods||US||272 (−8)||1,224,000|
|2005||Phil Mickelson||US||276 (−4)||1,170,000|
|2004||Vijay Singh||Fiji||280 (−8)||1,125,000|
|2003||Shaun Micheel||US||276 (−4)||1,080,000|
|2002||Rich Beem||US||278 (−10)||990,000|
|2001||David Toms||US||265 (−15)||936,000|
|2000||Tiger Woods||US||270 (−18)||900,000|
the USPGA Championship is played in mid-august on the third weekend right before and prior to Labor Day weekend. This event is an official money event listen on the PGA tour, the European Tour and the Japan Tour. The Purse consists of $10 million for the 96th edition in 2014 thus making the USPGA the most lucrative of all the majors. It is a favourite amidst American sports betters and international bookies alike.
- Youngest winner:Gene Sarazen in 1922 (20 years, 174 days)
- Oldest winner:Julius Boros in 1968 (48 years, 142 days)
- Lowest 18-hole score: 63 –Bruce Crampton, 2nd round, 1975; Raymond Floyd, 1st, 1982; Gary Player, 2nd, 1984; Vijay Singh, 2nd, 1993; Michael Bradley, 1st, 1995; Brad Faxon, 4th, 1995; José María Olazábal, 3rd, 2000; Mark O’Meara, 2nd, 2001; Thomas Bjørn, 3rd, 2005; Tiger Woods, 2nd, 2007; Steve Stricker, 1st, 2011; Jason Dufner, 2nd, 2013
- Lowest 72-hole score in relation to par: −18,Tiger Woods (66-67-70-67, 270) and Bob May (72-66-66-66, 270), 2000; Tiger Woods (69-68-65-68, 270), 2006
- Lowest absolute 72-hole score: 265,David Toms (66-65-65-69), 2001
- Greatest winning margin in the match play era:Paul Runyan beat Sam Snead 8 & 7 in 1938
- Greatest winning margin in the stroke play era: 8 strokes,Rory McIlroy in 2012
Most frequent venues:
- 4 PGA Championships:Southern Hills Country Club – 1970, 1982, 1994, 2007.
- 3 PGA Championships:Atlanta Athletic Club – 1981, 2001, 2011.
- 3 PGA Championships:Firestone Country Club – 1960, 1966, 1975.
- 3 PGA Championships:Oakland Hills Country Club – 1972, 1979, 2008.
- 3 PGA Championships:Oakmont Country Club – 1922, 1951, 1978.
- 3 PGA Championships:Oak Hill Country Club – 1980, 2003, 2013.
- 3 PGA Championships:Valhalla Golf Club – 1996, 2000, 2014.